Designed by the architect Alfred Messel and built between 1910 and 1930 by Ludwig Hoffmann, the Pergamonmuseum is one of the most frequently visited museums in Berlin. It houses the Collection of Classical Antiquities, the Museum of the Ancient Near East and the Museum of Islamic Art. The Pergamon Museum gained worldwide fame through the Pergamon altar, the Mschatta facade, the market gate of Miletus and the Ischtar gate with the processional street of Babylon.
The Pergamon Museum was rebuilt between 1948 and 1959 due to some war damage to the roofs and architectural exhibits in 1945.
According to the plans of the architect Oswald Mathias Ungers, the Pergamonmuseum has been renovated in sections since 2008. Two new buildings, the "Tempietto" and the "4th wing", are to be added to it.