The reason for the reconstruction of the museum, which was built between 1884 and 1887, was the destruction of the old depots under Theaterplatz by the flood disaster in 2012 in Dresden.
The spectacular innovation of the conversion was the redesign of the inner courtyard. In a covered atrium at a height of 17 metres, a two-storey, 60-metre-long "steel bridge" on steel and concrete columns was built, which accommodates flood-proof depots and restoration workshops.
In addition, the atrium was acoustically adjusted to the requirements of a concert situation, which calls for extraordinary concert events.
Due to the exposed building design and the special use, special building physics requirements were made and implemented in the course of the conversion.